Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Like "High School Musical," Only Good!!

I've recently begun watching Glee. Everyone told me I should, and that I would like it; and whilst I was sure that I would, I had no idea just how great it actually is.

Let me be perfectly clear about this:
Never have I been so completely in love with a show. It has even surpassed Buffy in my mind as the most amusing and entertaining shows to ever be produced, right beside How I Met Your Mother, which i also have a slightly unnatural love for.

I love Musicals. I love them so much, it's a wonder I'm not gay. And the kids in this show, man, can they sing. There is such a perfect mix of vocal personalities that it blows my mind consistently with each episode I watch, to say nothing of the characters in the show. I just can't help but love all the Glee kids, even the ones that annoy and bother the hell out me. And yes; sometimes the plot, dialogue, and the heavy-handed message of "Be Yourself!" seem stupefyingly after-school special, but that's part of it's charm, and really what all musicals are about anyways. I certainly can't remember a musical whose message required more than the IQ of a monkey wrench to pick up on.

I'm not going to get into the characters, or the plot with you here. I would rather let you discover them for yourself when you decide to take the plunge into the warm tropical waters that are Glee.

I will say this though. The one thing that would make it better: A Joss Whedon written and directed episode, in which nobody we care about dies (we all know how much he likes to do that). Oh, and Neil Patrick Harris should be on all the time. The world needs more NPH.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I can get into Glee...

Strange Brood Tabletop said...

I seriously dig it. Even if you decide you don't like it, it is totally worth checking out.

Chari said...

I told you so!!! :)

Strange Brood Tabletop said...

You sure did, E.